Planning PTA Events: How To’s
Hello Board Members,
As we start planning our events, please read the following “how to” list. Please read the entire email and save for future reference. There are a few changes so everyone should take note:
- Bowman_PTABOARD@yahoogroups.com: Our Board Yahoo Group is set up so we can easily communicate with each other. Please feel free to post questions, requests from other Board Members (volunteer or equipment needs) or for any other PTA business. We will also use this listserv to post PTA meeting minutes, meeting reminders, some mini-grant voting, etc
- firstname.lastname@example.org: We will be your main liaison with Dr. Anton. Instead of contacting her directly, please send us your ideas, dates, flyers or anything that needs her approval. This way we keep the Q&A/flyer approval process streamlined. Keep in mind we are a 70+ member group and this is the best way for Mary to field our questions. We appreciate your understanding.
- ‘@bowmanpta.org‘ emails: Look on our website (bowmanpta.org) if you need to look one up (including your own). Please use the .org emails instead of personal emails on flyers and listserv posts. You can also use them in the “Reply To:” section of your emails so replies go to your whole committee (see above).
Planning/booking your event:
- Send the date of your event to email@example.com so we can clear it with the school.
- Once the date is approved, forward the event date and description to the Website Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, so it can be posted in our PTA calendar. And check out further directions at Website Posting Guidelines.
- If your event takes place at any school or town property, you need to fill out a Building Use Form: http://lps.lexingtonma.org//site/Default.aspx?PageID=1251
All “event planners” are responsible for their event promotion. You are encouraged to use the following:
- Website: www.bowmanpta.org (Again, send event date and description to email@example.com)
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/BowmanPTA (Please post your own event info or send info to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Broadside: email monthly submissions to email@example.com (deadline for submissions is the Thursday before the 1st of the month)
- Listserv: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flyers, Posters, Banners, and Sandwich Board
Poster info: You can put color poster-size flyers (11×17) in the outside bulletin board by the front entrance. (You need to ask Jean Bitton, in the main office, for the key). Other good spots for posters/flyers: Front entry windows, “walkers” back window by Ms. Lee’s classroom, gym/cafeteria windows.
Banners: Banners** can be hung in the lobby if your event is next on the calendar.
Please contact the PTA Co-Presidents (email@example.com) if you have any questions in planning the date and location of your event.
**IMPORTANT REMINDER: All Flyers must be approved by Dr Anton before printing or going home with students.**
- Use LPS Print Center, Swifty Printing in Arlington, or Lexington Graphics to print flyers, posters, and sandwich board posters (we have accounts with them).
- Use black and white ink for flyers (#20 text paper at Swifty). Only the Fall Fair/Auction flyers are done in color ink.
- Quantity = family count (family count only goes to youngest sibling in each family). You can get the family count from us, or Jean in the office.
- Please put them in packets (separated by paper clips or rubber bands) with teachers’ names on each packet.
For promotion outside of the Bowman community, please see Marketing Your Event Outside of Bowman.
Don’t hesitate to contact the PTA Co-Presidents (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.